Direct Exchange Geothermal Replacement System: Do’s and Don’ts
Are you considering replacing your current direct exchange geothermal system with a geothermal system that contains a copper ground loop? Making the right choices during this process is crucial to ensure optimal performance and energy efficiency. There are many other brands that you may currently have inside your home. To help you navigate this journey, we’ve compiled a list of do’s and don’ts when replacing your DX geothermal system.
1. Do consult with a qualified geothermal professional: Seek guidance from experienced technicians who specialize in geothermal systems. As a DX geothermal manufacturer, we can assess your current setup, evaluate your needs, and recommend the most suitable DX geothermal replacement system for your home. We provide free consultation. If you need help, feel free to contact us here.
2. Do prioritize energy efficiency: One of the main benefits of DX geothermal systems is their energy efficiency. Look for models with high Coefficient of Performance (COP) efficiency ratings, as they provide more heating and cooling output for each unit of energy consumed. Opting for energy-efficient models will lead to long-term savings on your energy bills. It’s important to understand that a geothermal system is going to be more efficient than an air source heat pump system.
3. Do ensure proper sizing: Properly sizing your DX geothermal replacement system is crucial for optimal performance. A professional assessment of your heating and cooling needs, taking into account factors such as the size of the existing loop field, the diameter + length of copper lines connected to the outside ground loop, and functionality of the existing geothermal unit, will help determine the appropriate system size.
4. Do consider maintenance requirements: Like any HVAC system, DX geothermal systems require regular maintenance to ensure longevity and efficiency. However, there are a lot less parts to fail or break on a DX geothermal system than traditional air source heat pumps or other geothermal brands. Less parts can lead to less potential repairs.
1. Don’t neglect professional installation: Proper installation is key to the performance and longevity of your DX geothermal replacement system. Avoid DIY attempts and rely on experienced professionals who have experience working on other refrigeration systems, like walk in coolers, freezer, commercial refrigerators, ice machines, and other air source heat pumps. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for a contractor that does not have experience with DX geothermal technology to suggest replacing the system with a technology or system they are more familiar with. If you experience this, rest assured we can help you with this process.
2. Don’t overlook loop field evaluation: If you already have an existing DX copper ground loop, you’ll want to assess its condition before replacing the entire system. In many cases, the loop field can be reused, saving you time and money. A factory trained technician can work with your technician to evaluate its viability and determine if it meets the compatibility requirements for your new Waterless® DX geothermal system.
3. Don’t forget about warranties and certifications: When selecting a DX geothermal replacement system, be sure it comes with a comprehensive warranty and meets Energy Star certifications. These aspects provide peace of mind and protect your investment in case of any unforeseen issues.
4. Don’t rush the decision: Take the time to research and evaluate the replacement options you’ve been given. Compare features, energy efficiency ratings, and costs to make an informed decision that aligns with your specific requirements and budget. Most of all, it’s important to understand comfort + efficiency advantages a geothermal system has over an air source heat pump.
5. Don’t think we can’t service that brand: Even though our brand name is Waterless® Geothermal, we were previously known as Earthlinked. We can repair and replace their old systems, along with other older DX brands like US Power, Advanced Geothermal, The Great Air Comfort System, and more.
By following these do’s and don’ts, you can ensure a smooth transition to a new DX geothermal replacement system. Enjoy the benefits of energy efficiency, comfort, and long-term savings as you embrace the advancements of direct exchange geothermal technology in your home.
Remember, consulting with professionals like us and prioritizing a proper installation checklist will contribute to the success of your DX geothermal replacement project. Make the most of this opportunity to upgrade your home’s heating and cooling system and reap the rewards for years to come by filling out our DX system replacement form here.